Site Meter

Monday, April 27, 2009

Welcome Little Color Box


The month of March flew by with accelerated speed this year. A few new things, one of which I'm about to reveal, took top priority and seemed to suck up most of my time. More than a few of my morning prayers included pleading to God to expand my time that day. I'm not sure if God can really expand time but I think it's worth asking for because if anyone could expand your time it would be God.
Along with some unusual things that happened that month there was still the usual mundane daily tasks that needed taking care of. Cleaning the house narrowly made any kind of priority list. To be honest it fell to the bottom of the non-priority list next to deep cleaning the garage.
OK so enough with the "I've just been so busy" talk. Yuck.

Here's the thing, a few months ago a friend of mine asked if I wanted to share a booth with her and few others at an arts and craft fair the first week of April. I quickly said yes not having a clue what I was going to sell. It's kinda funny actually.
Anyway several weeks of thinking and exploring my many, many, many, many ideas I found myself oneday doodling little monsters. And poof, that's how it began. I started making appliqued tshirts for babies. It of course developed more than that and continues to develop.
Well, I worked really hard for next several weeks trying to get a small collection together for the fair. I found myself stuck in my laundry room for hours dyeing fabrics and ironing on my hand drawn appliques which were later stitched on. I came up with a name and a logo, made my own labels, printed off business cards and came up with a display. Little Color Box was on it's way. To where I didn't know. In fact I'm still trying to figure that out.

The fair was a little disappointing because I didn't sell much, which I like to think was because it just wasn't my crowd. No offence to anyone who wears kooky hats and Keds but I saw a lot of kooky hats and Keds that day. But despite the disappointing numbers I had a great response from many and I will forever hold a special spot in my heart for all those who bought one of my outfits that day.
Despite my low sales, I wasn't the least bit discouraged. I was so happy and proud with myself for what I had accomplished in a short time. And I knew that my initial ideas could blossom into so much more. I know that if I trust myself and work really hard Little Color Box can become something great. And so the seed has been planted.

Since the fair I have opened an etsy shop www.littlecolorbox.etsy.com and recently purchased a very handsome serger so I can start making my own clothing. I'm sure Chris is worried that I will soon be having a full blown love affair with my baby lock. No worries babe, despite the serger's amazing capabilities it does have it's limitations.

Here is a look at Little Color Box's humble beginnings.












This is Hudson. He's my first model. He's also one of my first customers.



7 comments:

clare b said...

I am sooo excited for you. Such scrumptious little clothes. Now to find someone who is having a bub (that isn't in the Thailand family already!) You blew me away with your little monsters. I LOVE THEM.

jill wilson said...

Tami you are SO talented!! Everything you touch turns to gold....way ta go!! I can't wait to make my first purchase! I will see you later today!! By the way....
almost makes me want to have another:):)

Lauren Clyde said...

Absolutely Adorable!!! I'm amazed at how talented you are. I've always known that you were creative and this is just one other thing you do that doesn't cease to surprise me. Caroline definately will be sporting Little Color Box. I can't wait to show Tyler. I could see this selling well at the Provo Farmer's Market that runs throughout the summer and fall. People sell all types of eclectic merchandise there: jewelry, baby accessories, clothing, etc...

I've been menaing to get your advice on strollers. I know you have some expertise in that dept b/c I remember you talking about it one time. I need an awesome double stroller. Of course, I don't want to break the bank but I'm willing to splurge a little on this item. Any suggestions???

lauren ann said...

L.O.V.E it.... Could you be anymore creative? I have been waiting for this post to see how they all turned out and I am frankly blown away. I want them- all of them. You better believe that our kids will be decked in Little Color Box attire. Great job Tami

Lindsay said...

SO CUTE TAMI!!!! So they come in sets? I want some!

Lindsay said...

My sister wants that kimono one with the green stitching and two pink flowers on it. But on etsy it is only for newborn. She wants 3-6 mos. Can that be done? let me know.

karen★ said...

so darling! sorry about the craft fair but, well, next time look for people wearing vans & converse! i cannot wait to look more closely at your shop! p.s. my favorite is the "sleep tight" shirt