Site Meter

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Run Eat Sleep Repeat

A couple of weekends ago I ran the Los Angeles Ragnar Rely Race with my friend Jenny and her family. The race started at 9:00 am Friday morning in Santa Barbara and ended 25 hours 10 minutes and 47 second later in Dana Point. That's over 160 miles. Our team was named the Mike and Ikes'. Get it, one Mike and 11 Ikes.

How is works. Well to put it in a nut shell you Run, Eat, Sleep Repeat three times. Although we didn't do much sleeping. I would say it's more like Run, Eat, Chat, Complain, Laugh, Pee, Snooze, Chat, Eat Repeat three times. We also managed to squeeze in a movie on our way through Malibu. Jenny and I took in our pillows to make ourselves a bit more comfy, which was probably a little WT for Malibu but we didn't care.




Each team member ran three legs ranging from 3 to 10 miles. The total of my three legs was 18 miles. Each team piled into two vehicles. The first car dropped off the first runner, drove ahead a few miles, honking and cheering as they zoomed past the runner on their way to the next exchange point where the next runner was was waiting and so on. We did this leapfrogging pattern throughout the day into the night and into the next day until we crossed the finish line around 2:30 pm on Saturday.


This is me warming up for my big 4 miler! (I include this picture because I'm not feeling particularly strong these days. I've let myself go a bit. I haven't picked up any kind of weight besides Jack and my groceries in months. The photo by the way is generous and cropped in all the right places. I'm hoping years from now I will look back and think I should have complained less and cared less! Who know I may even say, "Damn. You looked pretty good for not feeling so strong.")


It was a little lonely on the trail. It wasn't often you saw another runner. It looks like I'm on running on the wrong side of the fence. I thought the other side looked safer myself.

Jenny was lucky enough to have one of her runs along the very scenic Pacific Coast Highway in daylight might I add.

My beach run on the other hand was at 1 am in the morning in total darkness.

Yeppy we made it to the finish line. Now lets go home and sleep.


Anyone up for next year?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

That is so funny! I ran that two years in a row in Logan! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Didn't you love it? So much fun! Our teams name was the ghetto booty runners! We loved it! The night runs are the best! Good job Tam!

Emily S. said...

Yeah Tami! I am glad you found a Ragnar Relay in your neck of the woods. It looks awesome with the beach nearby - even if your beach run was at night. We are gearing up for the Wasatch Back Relay again next month. Sometime you will have to come up and join our team. Hope all is well!