Site Meter

Friday, September 18, 2009

Salon Cheap

My new cash budget has forced me to make a few cuts and lets face it, getting your hair cut and colored can be expensive so I'm back to the box. Although I love going to get my hair done, I've always had a hard time paying to get my hair colored because I know how much color costs. It cost me about 9 dollars to color my own hair. That's considerable savings! Forget the salon experience for now, I will give myself a head massage when I shampoo. I'd rather put the saving to better use like the sweater I've been eyeing at Anthropolgie.

I've colored my hair on and off for about 7 years. Here's what I've learned.

1. WHEN IT COMES TO COLOR, GUESSING IS BAD.
Don't be fooled by the model's hair color on the box. Note: You will not magically look like the gorgeous model on the cover of the box nor will you hair color always resemble the color. Also the descriptive adjectives such as "caramel" or "chocolate" can be misleading. Instead, follow the shade guide on the side of the box. I read that's it's suggested to pick up the box you are most attracted to, then put it back and grab the next lighter one and to stay within 2 shades lighter or darker than your natural color.The further you stray means more maintenance. I haven't always followed this advise partially due to my obsession with deep and rich colors.

2. FINDING THE PERFECT HUE CAN BE TRICKY.
There are many tones within the blond or brown spectrum and it can be hard to find the perfect combination. Not to long ago I colored my hair brown that had a burgundy undertone. It was a rich color but the red undertone was a little on the purple side. Not exactly what I was going for and probably not the right color for my skin tone. You learn quickly that while it takes a good level of self confidence to pull of a bad color you don't want to make that mistake again. You live and you learn. Finding what works for your skin color is the key. I am still learning but I found this clip to be helpful.


Watch CBS News Videos Online

3. THERE ARE A FEW NECESSARY THINGS YOU'LL NEED IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE YOUR OWN COLORIST.
You will need a wide-tooth come, which you can use to distribute dye and after-color conditioner evenly from root to tips; A tub of petroleum jelly or conditioner, to smooth along your hairline and on your ears to prevent dye from staining your skin. Be careful not to get it on the hair it self; Several towels designated for hair color only to be used as a drop cloth. Spills and spatters happen from time to time and you want to be prepared. FYI- Color doesn't come out of anything; Gloves to protect your hands from the dye; A kitchen timer to keep track of the minutes to avoid processing your hair too long and butterfly clips to use to section off your hair. I have also found that a bottle of porosity control is key to good coverage and even color whether your covering your whole hair or just just touching up your roots. I also color my own eyebrows to match my hair color. My favorite products are L'Oreal Hair Color and Clairol Hair Color.



4. WHEN YOU'RE DYING YOUR HAIR, COVERAGE AND TIMING IS EVERYTHING

Don't wash your hair for a day or two before coloring. The natural oils in your hair act as a barrier to the chemicals in the hair color. Your ends soak up more color because they're drier, so they tend to turn out darker or lighter than the top. To prevent this, apply dye to roots first, then to mid-length hair. Leave the formula in only as long as the directions indicate. I've read that letting it sit for longer won't improve coverage, and the color will come out dull and flat. Set the timer as soon as you start applying the dye, not when you finish. Another tip is to mist with water before coloring. This will keep ends from processing too long.


Good coverage around the hairline is important to get the natural look. I have never been able to get really good coverage without staining the skin around my hair line just a bit so don't color on a day you will going out. The especially applies when you dye your eyebrows.


5. WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH THE DYE JOB, IT'S NOT THE END OF YOUR WORK

You want to protect your investment and make it look good for as long as you can. I read that you should wait a full day until you wash, since it takes 24-hours for pigments to settle in to the hair shaft. I guess this means rise out the color but don't shampoo. I will try this next time to see if I makes a difference. And condition, condition, condition. I use a once a week deep conditioner every other day.

Now if I could just learn how to successfully give myself highlights.

No comments: