Site Meter

Monday, February 1, 2010

Mom on Strike Report

I woke Saturday with Kate climbed into bed next to me and asked if I was back. And only seconds after I told her I was back and gave her a hug Thomas walked in to complain about some injustice. I rolled my eyes, pulled the covers up over my head and thought oh brother what did they possible get out of yesterday? For me personally I enjoyed many hours reading in my bed. It was lovely. When one of the kids would ask me for something all I had to say was "strike" and they left the room. I never felt so powerful!
I lamented a bit that my kids were not magically changed into perfectly happy non complaining children. At least that is what I hoping for after a day on strike. And then a small but profound thought came to me. They are little works in progress and they have imperfect parents showing them the way. Okay, okay I get it. I'll be patient, and more loving, and I will listen more. The last one probably the most important.

As I thought about the previous day I do think there were some very good lessons learned for all of us. I think my kids realized how much I do for them and how much they rely on me. They also realized how capable they are and how much they can do for themselves. For example Kate was proud of herself for walking allllll the way home. Before that I don't think it ever crossed her mind that she could walk all that way with out me and now she knows if she really needs to she can. Thomas already does a lot for himself but I think he realized just how much I do for him running him around to all his activities and lessons and that I am not the keeper of all this things.

I think going on strike did have it's payouts even if they were small.

I'm sure it wont be the last time either.

No comments: