Site Meter

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hands On Help

FYI: The following pictures do not include the fighting over the knife, the crying because a wooden spoon fell on the floor and was retrieved by another sibling, the burnt hamburger buns or the near fall off the counter. The pictures suggest peace, happiness and sense of cooperation. If only it was that simple.
We are fast becoming an all hands on family. I decided my kids helping me in the kitchen is generally one chore they are eager to be involved with and usually fight over who gets to pour, stir or cut. (I wish I got the same response when it came to cleaning their rooms.)
I look at my kids as little people in training to one day be independent adults. Doing for themselves and others is hugely important to me, like I'm sure it is for most moms.
I was introduced to Merrile Boyack's "plan" of how to raise children who one day can care for themselves, keep a job, have good professional and interpersonal skills and so forth. Her plan lists skills and knowledge your child should develop at each age group. I've keep the list and often refer back to it to see how I'm doing. The Plan among other invaluable advice can be found in her book, The Parenting Breakthrough - A Real-Life Plan To Teach Your Kids To Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent.

According to the plan this a big year for Thomas. He needs to be taught how to mop the floor, clean pictures, bake cakes, bake cookies,understand emergency preparedness, learn basic first aid, fill the car with gas, wash the car, vacuum interior of car, hammer nails, saw wood, cook vegetables, write letters, understand puberty and sex (oh boy), use e-mail, understand basic science, wrap presents, sew on buttons and so on.
You get the idea.
We'll get to "the talk" later, this week I'm concentrating on chopping vegetables which seems a whole lot less intimidating.





Cowboy Grub
6 medium tomatoes
1 bunch of long green onions
1 bag of frozen sweet corn
Juice from 2 limes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 bunch cilantro (chopped)
1 can black beans (drained)
2 lg. avocados
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
1 package of good season Italian dressing

No comments: