Site Meter

Friday, August 20, 2010

Note to Self - Love Your Own Company

What a commentary on civilization, when being alone is considered suspect; when one has to apologize for it, make excuses, hide the fact that one practices it...
Like a secret vice.
Anne Morrow Lindbergh

A friend passed along this video entitled How To Be Alone by filmmaker Andrea Dorfman and poet/singer/songwriter,
Tanya Davis.
It made me reflect on what it means to be alone and ultimately loving your own company. We all need time to be alone, to be introspective and to purify or thoughts and get things in order. I have always been one that needs time to feel, work through and gain clarify on what going on around me. Mr. Frugal likes to call it smoldering, I like to call it gaining perspective.
But beyond the occasional times I must walk away from a current standoff, I have through the years learned to love my own company. There is no one to please or adjust your expectations to meet that of another. You can hurry along or linger as long as you'd like. The dialogue you have with yourself is less distracted more real and to the point.
I must have liked my own company even as a child because I don't ever remember feeling bored or needing someone to play with at all times. Probably my favorite times as a child was when I was alone playing within the four walls of my bedroom. During these times my imagination was unrestrained and my bedroom became whatever I made it to be. Most of the time is was an apartment with two bedroom, a kitchen and a family room all divided off by blankets and pillows. My baby dolls provided all the company I needed. I was content for hours.
Over the years my solitary moments have taught me not only to love myself but have also cultivated a greater sense of freedom, independence and creativity, all the while gaining heaps of personal growth.




"I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they like me here."

1 comment:

Lauren Clyde said...

I liked this. I relate well to it. I always had 'my' places that I'd go to... My room was definately one of them. I was always ridiculed by my mom as a child for being in my room all the time. But it was the one place I could escape to. Quite often my home was full of chaos & bad energy. I used to climb onto the roof b/c no one could find me there;o) When I could drive, my favorite place was the grassy area in Del Mar above the train tracks over looking the ocean. I'd always go surfing by myself too. I like my own company, it's trustworthy ;o) I think you & I have a lot more in common than we probably think.