Site Meter

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Gourds

This project was about 10 months in the making. Really.
It started with a trip to the pumpkin patch along with Jack's preschool last October. The tour guide gave a brief explanation of what would happen if you left a gourd out to dry for several months. It turns rock hard that what happens. And that is exactly what happened to our two little oddly shaped gourds we bought at the pumpkin patch. Although several months was more like several months times two. Every so often Jack would give them a good shake to see if he could hear the seeds dancing inside. Each month the rumble of the seeds grew louder and louder as the inside guts dried out.
Finally when they were hard enough I cut off the tops to make them look more like pottery.
I could have left them in their natural state, which was quite beautiful actually (tear), but I could not resist the glossy epoxy spray paint I found in the garage.
And so out came the paint and it's partner in crime...."Makita." By the way you can not live with her. She one of my best crafty friends!
I love the super glossy look achieved with this appliance epoxy. Beware this is serious spray paint. It takes longer to dry and it's very hard to remove from your hands. One of these days I will wear gloves.

I like they way they look even before I sanded, but I hadn't seen "Makita" in a while and so together we ruffed them up a bit.
My gourds with well with the sign I managed to purloin from an old abandoned house several months back during a photo shoot.

1 comment:

lauren ann said...

once again... your skills and creativity amaze me