Site Meter

Monday, January 12, 2009

Run For Your Life

This past weekend I ran the Southern California 1/2 marathon with my peep Jill. We both felt a bit unprepared going into the race. I had taken a 3 week hiatus from running. Part of the time I was in Utah and I wasn't about to run in that freezing cold weather and as for the other days, I was either sick or busy. But I had already signed up, payed my cash and I have this at times annoying flaw in my personality with regards to saying no or backing out of something so I was going to run it prepared or not. Jill also succummed to her own personal pressures (and maybe some of mine) and on Saturday morning we awoke bright and early and drove up to Irvine. To start off the day right we had my version of the breakfast of champions. Cold macaroni and a serious zap of caffeine. Yummy.




After a quick photo and a very important stop at the porta potty we were off. It was beautiful day and there was a cool refreshing breeze in the air. Ahaaa, just another perfect day, in the middle of January might I add. I couldn't help but think of my sister who lives in Minnesota and who was probably freezing her buns off. It was a perfect day to run and running on a smooth flat road opposed to a steep horse trail was a nice change. I was glad to have my ipod since Jill and I separated at mile 2 and never saw each other again until the end. I surprisingly felt great until mile 12 where my legs got a little tight. I was very relieved that this was only a half marathon and not the real deal. And with Beyonces' Single Ladies bringing me home I happily finished in just under 2 hours.

1 comment:

clare b said...

Girl - you rock! How you run like that, I don't know. I have trouble walking that distance, let alone getting any speed up. Well done! You should be damn proud of yourself.