Site Meter

Monday, February 2, 2009

Triming the Fat


OK so my closest is getting a little out of hand. It's so full of stuff my poor clothes are suffocating. The pathetic part is I'm only wearing about 15 % of my clothes, which by the way I think is 5 % percent more than the average person. It's no wonder most mornings I feel like have nothing to wear. I know that seems a little crazy based on the picture above. I do after all have over 100 tops (not including all my knit shirts in the dresser drawer), 45 skirts, 28 dresses, 32 pairs of pants, 15 pairs of jeans, 9 bathing suits, 21 belts/sashes and over 60 pairs of shoes and them some. Sound excessive? Maybe so, but before you judge go count the clothes in your closets you might just be surprised how many black tops you really have. The point of me taking inventory of all of my clothes was not to be shocked at the fact that I own 20 white t-shirts but was to help me realize the following:
1. I hold onto items that "I'll wear just as soon as I find the perfect pair of pants to go with it." This might work as a legitimate excuse but with over at least 50 options, it doesn't hold up.
2. I hold onto items that just need a little alteration. Not only will I never get around to it, but to be honest altering that pair of skinny jeans to fit like a glove is still not going to change the fact that my legs are not sucked through a straw skinny.
3. I hold onto items because "These will fit just as soon I lose 5 pounds." Hello, your not a size 2.
4. I hold onto items because I paid a lot of money for them and so I have a problem with giving them away to Goodwill. Shame on me.
5. I hold onto items because one day I may start wearing sweatsuits to the mall or wear fussy iron only clothes to the park. Ya right.
I feel like the only solution is have a heart to heart with each piece of clothing and accessory in my closet. Yep, it's time to trim the fat. All pieces I have given any of the excuses listed above to have to go. No more "special occasion", "in case of blizzard", "need the right pair of pants to go with it", or "maybe I'll wear next week" clothes can stay. The few great pieces I do have need more breathing room. (Refer to picture below) Only the finest, best fitting, hard working, inspiring bunch are going to make the cut. The donate to Goodwill pile could be substantial. Unlike the closest below (featured on Domino's website) my closet is one of the most uninspiring places in my house second only to my pantry. Mostly due to poor lighting and crummy organization it's not a space you want to hang out in. But just because my walls aren't lined with pretty wall paper and the container store hasn't payed a visit there's no excuse to hold on to items that are just OK. It's certainly not what I want to feel like during the day, just OK. My clothes should be a reflection of how I feel or at least how I want to feel. I want my closet to say "Come on in you powerful beautiful creature. Put on something fabulous and go out and conquer the world." Well, at least conquer my world anyway.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

something i always wanted to do (because i have share the same problem with you!) is a clothing swap party...girls night, you all bring your stuff that no longer fits/don't want to just chuck out and swap/share! then donate whatever is leftover at the end! if i were skinny i'd be knocking on your door to look through your rejects tami!!

Emily S. said...

OK - you have inspired me to "trim the fat" at Taylor always says. He still can't get over the fact that I have a sweater from 9th grade. I think I hang on to it now just to spite him. Also, where do you find 9 cute bathing suits? I have a hard time finding one I like when I need one. Tell me where you shop! Love ya!