Site Meter

Friday, July 10, 2009

Craft for Cash

A few months ago I bought a pot holder kit for Thomas with the hope his busy little hands would find joy in creating and hopefully relieve the "I'm so bored" moments I knew would pop up from time to time this summer. Luckily for me he liked it from the get-go. They were easy to make and could be started and completed without any of my help which was the best thing about project! Kate even joined in the crafting fun along with Thomas' friend Ben.

I suggested to the boys they make a bunch and try and sell them at the fireworks show on the 4th of July. All I had to do was mention making money and they were in full production. We went to good will bought a bunch of old t-shirts and made our own recycled loopers. Here's a tutorial courtesy of the Beerhorst Family. http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiobeerhorst/sets/72157594490161717/
(I made mine a bit narrower. I found it made the loopers easier to work with.)


For the next couple of weeks they sat in their fort, a.k.a. "the pot holder sweat shop", they had made under the ping pong table and created pot holders.




Sadly this project was not unlike most goods things which eventually come to an end, but between the 3 of them they had made 35 pot holders. Due to poor planning and a sudden cringe of embarrassment at thought of my kids begging people to buy their pot holders, the 4th of July came and went. I was all for the little summer venture but I was not ready to go door to door asking for my neighbors to support my kids summer craft project and I knew asking Grandma to buy 35 pot holders would be a bit much. Luckily for us he park was holding a Jazz Festival lasting several weeks. Thomas suggested we try and sell them there. I was over my embarrassment by then and I knew they deserved to try and sell them if for nothing else then their hard work. It was Perfect.
On the last day of the festival Thomas and Kate mustered up the courage to walk around, talk to strangers and try and sell the adorable pile of recycled pot holders. They worked out a price and decided that Kate would hold the tall stack and smile while Thomas gave the spiel. I was so proud of them, especially Kate who gets queasy in the tummy just looking at a stranger; I knew for her it took a lot of courage. It started off a bit slow but once they made there first sell they were off.
It took them just 45 minutes to sell all but five. I'll admit it was a "you're a good mom" moment for me and for Thomas and Kate they left the festival more confident, proud and a whole $45.oo richer. Not so shabby.

No comments: