Site Meter

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Collection

A few years back I purchased my first vintage pattern. It was a classic fitted 2 piece suit from the 40's. I had intentions of making the outfit but when I opened up the envelop I discovered it had never been cut. I couldn't bare to cut up a 50 year old pattern and so put in back in it's plastic cover and stashed it away. I would occasional get it out and look at it. This was around the time I began to fall in love with that era of clothing. It was a time when women dressed up and kept their lipstick fresh even though most were homemakers who rarely left the house. The clothing of this era denotes strength and confidence even if it was a bit impractical.
I began collecting more and more patterns over the next couple of years and now I have a collection of over 90 vintage patterns.
I mostly have women's patterns but I have a handful of children's patterns and few men's patterns.
I would pick up a pattern here and there and about a month ago I was lucky enough to purchase a seamstresses entire collection. She was women who enjoyed sewing for over 50 years, but now in her 80's she was losing her sight and was unable to thread needles and cut fabric. When I picked up the box of patterns from her granddaughter I told her to tell her grandmother that her cherished collection was going to pattern lover. She smiled and told me that it would make her grandmother so happy knowing they were going to someone who loved to sew. The sentimentally sappy side of me almost cried right there on the spot, but thankfully I held it together just long enough to get in my car.
I love the fashion patterns from the 70's and earlier because their covers had the best fashion illustrations.
This a maternity pattern. Oh how maternity clothes have evolved.
I love the shoes on this pattern from the 70's. I think I'd like some green peep toes.

1 comment:

ellen said...

I've found a lot of vintage patterns and I love them! I'd like to make some of them.