Site Meter

Monday, November 10, 2008

Trip To Thailand


It has been over a week since I've been home and I'm finally posting some photos from my trip to Thailand. The trip was amazing! I not only traveled to a land I've never been before, but I experienced a new culture, had serene moments to reflect and think, enjoyed hours of massage and spa treatments, laughed, shed a few tears, and gained 10 beautiful new friends. 3 from southern cali, 1 from northern cali, 1 from Canada, 1 from France and 2 Aussies. It was wonderful sharing this experience with all of them. I'm so glad I listen to all of you who we told me not to feel guilty and "just go". I also just have to say thank you to my husband. I had to convince him that I wanted to go on a trip for 9 days, costing x amount of money to be with girls I didn't know and travel to a land half way around the world, and "oh by the way that trip is in 2 weeks." He was reluctant but in the end gave me his loving support. With that said, here are a few of my favorite photos or moments. To see more go to my flickr link.



You could find these little Buddhas in and around temples. I learned that gold is an item valued for its purity as a religious offering and for its power to placate spirits and request favours. Postage-stamp-size booklets of gold leaves were on sale along with incense, flowers and candles at temples and shrines for use as daily offerings. I read that one way for Thai Buddhists to show their respect for a person or concept is to make merit by affixing small squares of gold leaf onto images of Buddha or other sacred objects. I'm not sure they stick so well but the effect looks really cool.


Wat Pho, is the home of the Reclining Buddha, and is the oldest and largest Buddhist temple in Bangkok. It's also home to more Buddha images than any other place in Bangkok. You can't tell from the picture, but this Buddha is enormous.
The "TUK-TUK" (ตุ๊กตุ๊ก) is a small car with three wheels. Tuk-tuk's are a real a tourist attraction/trap. Before sitting inside, one should negotiate the price and make sure you are not part of scam. (happy to say we only lost 60 cents and one hour of shopping time) Also be warned that in Bangkok, it is not always a good idea to sit in a tuk-tuk for too long due to the heat and the exhaust pipe of the other cars emitting their fumes during traffic jams. The pollution was so bad it was like closing your mouth around the exhaust pipe of a snowmobile minus the snow,
but well worth the fun ride. Next time I will bring my medical mask.
When walking around the streets in hot Bangkok city, you will get really thirsty. You could stop for a drink of a fresh young coconut or for some freshly squeezed local mandarin orange drink. This orange drink was so delicious and fresh and only cost about 80 cents a bottle.
Who knew a chipmunk would make a good pet. In America these bushy tail critters run wild in forests and city parks, but in Thailand they must be as common as cats because there were a lot of vendors selling these furry little friends in the market. Little outfits are also available for additional cost.
I'm not sure what's scarier, the fact that in Thailand you can buy chipmunks and other probably endangered species like the owl or that the mullet is the current craze among the teenagers. Watch out America.
You can get your fix anywhere in the world just be prepared to pay a premium.

I now know why this the land of the monsoon. When it rains it's comes down in buckets. Luckily for us it rained mostly at night or in the morning. This was the first of what would be the total of 10 hours of massage/spa treatments. That's averages out to be just over an hour everyday. Ahhhhhh. Cheers to cheap and plentiful massages. This particular treatment was a foot and neck massage. It cost about $6.oo.

New friends and yummy curry = perfect evening!
Emily gave us all a journal and a box with all kinds of art making goodies inside.


This was my completed box. I think I will load it up with treasures from the trip.


A few of us had our palms read at Wat Pho. And although I won't make guide my life based on what he told me there were definitely several, "how could he possible have known that" moments. We were greeted with cold refreshing towels scented with lemon grass in the hotels, spas and restaurants. Can I just say ahhhhhhhh.

The view from my room.
We stayed at the Tubkaak Resort and Spa while in Krabi. This place was amazing. The grounds were lush and beautiful and the staff was so kind and attentive. There are only total of 42 rooms so this place is quiet and peaceful. No kiddies here. It's a dream honeymoon spot... needless to say we were their only 'non-couple' guests.

I love this picture not only because I have my cleavage back but because this scenario is far from my everyday life. Come on, how often do you get the chance to relax in your bathing suit by a beautiful pool, enjoy 'naked weather', sip on your favorite diet soda and immerse yourself in art and journaling?
This is something else I wish I spent more time doing. I never enjoyed Yoga so much...I'm guessing it had something to do with the amazing setting.


Riding an elephant was a thrill and I enjoyed being that close to an elephant. I'm glad I did it, but I couldn't help but feel bad that Loewy will spend the rest of his life giving rides all day every day. I really hope he feels some joy in that. I guess it's better than being mistreated and lugging around logs all day. (I'm sounding like an animal activist.) Thanks Loewy for the ride!
Here's a few of us on our last day moments before April, Dona and I had to rush to the airport.

April, Maren, Clare, Me, Michelle


This trip made me feel a little more ......

I will be back......someday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sigh...this was such a pleasure to read and see! love all your photos and your overview of the trip. miss you all - good times, good times!