Site Meter

Monday, April 19, 2010

A little less Evil

When I was in Thailand I found this collection of ravens and fell in love with them. I walked away only to return later that afternoon and bought all three from the artist for $75.00. I thought they were slightly quirky but captivating. I bought them, had them wrapped up and carried them all the way home. When I got home and unrevealed my purchase to my hubby and mother-in-law and the reaction was dismal compared to my excitement. I had no idea the raven would be so attacked. It was brought to my attention that in most cultures ravens represent ideas such as, misfortune, evil, destruction, malevolence and an omen to death. Edgar Alan Poe, even described them as "...grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous creatures."
Evil shmevil I don't really care what they did or do represent to people. Besides in some cultures they represent wisdom, healing, protection and prophecy.
I think they are stunning, yes I said did say stunning little birds.

Still the discussion bugged me just enough not hang them up on the wall. I certainly didn't want to invite evil or any other bad charma into my house and so they sat for a year in a half in my closet. Until a few weeks ago when I got them out and and painted those little ravens a bright turquoise blue!

No comments: