Site Meter

Monday, April 26, 2010

Make me New-Dress to Skirt #1

I have a few dresses that have been in my good will pile for awhile but I recently moved them from that pile to my refashion pile. I hoped to show how I reconstructed this step by step but it got complicated quickly when I realized I had to take out the pleats in the back, add darts, re-fit the entire waist band and replace the zipper. I have two more dresses in the works that I think are less complicated and I will show how I've refashioned them.
Here is what I started with. I loved the color but I didn't like the way it fit on the top.
First I cut off the top.
It was supposed to be really simple from here but when I tried it on I realized I would have to refit the waist.
I took out the pleats in the back so I didn't have a bubble bum. I had to scoop the line a bit and add darts to create a good fit in the back. I also broke the zipper. My simple project keep getting a little more complicated.
And just when I was nearing the end Jack got a hold of my scissors and did his own altering. I had so many scrapes around but of course he had to cut along my perfect hem line.
But I was happy with the end product and the fit was nearly perfect.
Now I just can't gain any weight.

5 comments:

lauren ann said...

hott... i want one

Lindsay said...

that is my gorgeous, creative and talented sister in law!!!!!

Kelly said...

I've said it once, and I'll say it again...YOU ROCK! You are BY FAR the most creative and talented person I know! You looked like a ROCKSTAR in your skirt:)
X O X O

Lauren Clyde said...

Dang Gurrrl!!! So ingenious, I love this about you.

You inspire me ;)

clare b said...

That is HOT! I love it. I have really got to get up the courage to take the scissors to some of my clothes too.