Site Meter

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dinner..It's in the bag

Earlier today while I was cleaning out my pantry I found a crumpled paper bag. Humm, what could possible be in the bag? I don't remember putting anything in here. I really had no idea. As I released the tight seal the smell revealed the mysterious contents.
Onions. Probably bought several weeks ago. Okay maybe more than several weeks ago. I'm sure I had the intention of making something fabulous.
Luckily they were still salvageable and so I opened up my new cookbook written by my talented sister in law Amy Foulger and her equally talented friend Grace Rock.
I am really excited about this cookbook. They are both great cooks and I know the collection of recipes in this book are sure to be winners around my dinner table. You can purchase it through their website www.keepingupcookbook.com
With all those onions I was so happy to find Allison's fantastic French Onion soup.
This recipe is so easy.
Step one: Cut the onion. 2 yellow and 2 sweet onions. (I just used what I had...obviously.)
Step two: Saute 1/4 cup of butter and the onions over medium-high heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon of salt.
Step three: Cook until the onion are tender...
and golden brown.
Step four: Add 2 cans of reduced-sodium chicken broth, 2 cans of reduced-sodium beef broth
and 1/2 cup red wine. (I think I added close to a cup trying to take a picture and pour at the same time.)
Step 5: Add 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 sprig of thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 bay leaf and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Simmer about 20 more minutes.
I like to make my own croutons. Start with a loaf of french bread, thinly sliced.
Brush on olive oil.
Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper,
garlic powder,
and Italian seasoning.
Toast in the broiler until golden brown. Don't step away ladies. These puppies brown quickly. I've burned lots of bread while answering the door. I turned them over to also brown the other side. This makes them nice and crunchy. Perfect for the soup.
Top with Swiss or Gruyere cheese. I didn't have either and so I used Parmesan which was just as yummy. This soup is soooo good it's drinkable.
Now if I could just get my kids to like it just as much.
Thank you Amy and Grace for the cookbook.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

since no one will really answer me on this question will you help/tell me how to make my pictures bigger? thx