Site Meter

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Make Me New-Dress to Skirt #2

When I saw this dress I was crazy for the print, but when I put it on it was like most dresses, just a bit too short for my g-line and my comfort level. I bought it anyway and decided to make it into a skirt.
Dresses like this are easy to transform into a skirt. Think about where you want your new waist band to be and make the necessary adjustments.
Don't take out the zipper completely. Just take it out enough to make your first cut.
Try is on at this point to check the fit. Most likely you will have to manipulate the "new" waist band for a better fit. I liked how it fit at the skirt seam but it flared at the top.
So I took out the side and middle seams and adjusted them to fit snugly.

I had to taper my seam line to get the perfect fit.
Once your fit is good you can finish it off by folding the edge over and top stitching the right side.
The final step is to re attach the zipper. I like to do it by hand.

No comments: