Site Meter

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday's "My Life Story" entry No. 1


I have had a jar filled with rolled up pieces of brightly colored paper for 10 years. On each piece of paper is a question and the idea is to help you write your personal life story. Although I haven't lived a whole life time yet I think I've had this jar long enough and so each Sunday I will draw out one slip of paper, enjoy remembering and then write.


Slip No. 1

Tell about an incident at a hair salon.


I will have to say my most memorable story to date was the first time I ever had my hair "professionally" colored. Up to that point I was a faithful user of Loreal Preference Golden Blond. I started using it just shortly after having Thomas. After pregnancy my hair color was looking a little drab if you know what I mean. Dirty blond is how it is most often referred to and I wasn't going for the homely look. I think for the most part I did a respectable job at coloring my own hair. I had several people over the years ask me where I got my hair colored. It was flattering and of course I loved the fact that I paid only $8.00 a shot. For years I could not imagine paying the high price to get my hair colored. But there is one problem about coloring at home-it's all one color and so it can look a little fake. You know, like a blond bomb shell wig. So I decided I would go in and have some low lights put in to give my hair some much needed depth. To make a long story short I went to a Salon (two days before Mike and Lauren's Wedding) and came out with painfully dull platinum blond ash hair. It wasn't pretty and it only got worse after I went back in the next day to have her "fix it". It was a little too chemical looking for my liking. Not exactly the look I was going for, so I ran to thr super market, decided what the heck I love Courtney Cox's hair color and so I bought dark, dark, dark (completely opposite then blond) brown hair color and gave it a go. Wow! It was such a great change. It was exactly what I needed and although finding the right brown has been a saga I have learned a few things along the way...

1. Lower your expectations. You're not going to look like Heidi Kulm just because you colored your hair the exact same color. 2. Don't go to the "new girl". 3. You have to tell them exactly what you want-they unfortunately can't read your mind. 4. It really is better to go only a few shades darker or lighter than your natural color. 5. Coloring your hair a totally different color can knock you out of a mini mid life crisis. Who knows, it may be just the thing you need.

1 comment:

lauren ann said...

You're a hot brunette....
I like the Jar idea, ill have to start something like that (I can't tell you how many times Ive said that)